Thursday, December 1, 2011

The love of Christ has no boundaries [[Sunday, November 20, 2011]]

Romans 8:38-39

I awoke to the sound of voices outside my window. It was early, the sun just beginning to rise. Life here in Guatemala begins very early. The time was 5:30am. A rooster crowed beckoning for me to crawl out of my warm bed. The sun began to bask the room in a golden glow as I stepped out of my warm bed into the chilly air. I was once again aware of the different culture when I went to use the bathroom (don't throw the toilet paper in the toilet, put it in the trash can!). Breakfast was at 8, and we were going to walk to Pollo Campero. I began the day with God, and this is what I read: "This Book of Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord you God is with you wherever you go." -Josh. 1:8 This week will hold adventure, fears, and joys, but God's promise is that He will be with me ALWAYS. I just have to stay faithful to Him, meditate on His words, and do as He has commanded me.

I walked outside, the air was still cool, but it smelled like spring. The sky was a rosy color and the volcano loomed in the background. I was at a loss for words, all I could say was, "God you're awesome! I am filled with awe of You, and am simply at a loss for words." So this is what Moses must have felt like, rising early in the morning to meet with God, to experience the glory and wonder of God, and falling to his knees in utter amazement. I can only imagine... and someday i will see God face to face.

My group attended a Guatemalan church service. I loved hearing the Word of God being spoken in a different language. It made me realize that whether we speak English and they speak Spanish, we are together glorifying and worshipping our risen Savior. What a beautiful picture! This is what the love of Christ does, it unifies two different cultures...and we are all one in the body of Christ. :) It gave me a little glimpse of what heaven will be like. From experiencing this church service, I began to wish that church in America was more like this: people unafraid to completely worship their God. Hello, people, God saved you from death! please dance, raise your hands, shout hallelujah! you have eternal life! Greet one another with hugs and kisses, and stay for hours because you're thankful for this gift. The church down there, people came when they felt like it and stayed at late as they wanted. Just remember, that we should not be governed so much by time, but should love to be in the presence of Jesus.

We made our way to the city of Antigua. The beautiful ancient city with the volcano looming above. The city for a picture perfect picture...punny ;) We ate at the most delicious restaurant. We ate on a balcony overlooking the city. Again I was in awe of God's majesty. He created such a beautiful volcano, thousands of feet above us, but God is so much bigger than that, and so much more majestic.

We made our way to an orphanage for the disabled.
It was a solemn sight walking through the halls. The stench was horrible, and smelled like urine. Cribs were lined up along the wall, and inside each one there was a child. The children I walked past were lying on their backs, their big brown eyes gazing longingly at me, and their bodies a twisted wreck. I walked past, tears coming to my eyes. I was unable to accept that those children had to live in these cribs like animals because of limited medical treatments available. I walked over to one of the cribs, and gently picked up little Brenda. She was eight years, old but was the size of a five or six year old. She had cerebral palsy and had to spend her days lying in the crib. I took her out, held her and talked to her. When I talked to her, she looked into my eyes and smiled. I wondered why God would allow people to be born this way, but then I wondered if it was me who really had the disadvantage. Maybe because of their disabilities they understand the heart of Jesus more and understand what it means to trust in the Lord. This place was so far out of my comfort zone. I always hated being in hospitals or nursing home where the stench was overpowering and the crippled scared me. I never knew how to act, because even in they understood me, they would not be able to speak back. I knew that I was truly being Christ’s servant and loving those who may not always be the most lovable according to society’s standards. This is what it meant to humble myself and carry the cross.
We did some shopping and bargaining in the market place. I love all the colors!





Our meeting in the evening frightened me. We would be working with children with disabilities, but not just working, providing care for them. What will I do? "Lord, give me strength!" Was all I could say.














"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we he opportunity, let us do good to all." -Gal. 6:9-10



<3kaycia

No comments:

Post a Comment